Friday, August 27, 2010

Project: Story-telling

For the past 2 years, I've been trying to convince my thatha (grandpa) to tell me all the bedtimes stories passed down to him by his beloved aunt. When I was a child, thatha would put me to bed and tell me beautiful tales of ancient India. Every story started "Oorai oru oorilai" (like "once upon a time")... and I would stare into the darkness seeing the characters come to life. To make sure I was listening, he would quiz me with a listening comprehension tests. 

I want to pass down the beauty of these stories and all its morals. So I decided to translate my thatha's stories into English (while recording it in Tamil if possible) and create a written collection for future generations.

Unfortunately, Thatha is in India on a visit, and his speech has declined with age and Parkinson's. I'm not sure how we will accomplish this (I know he's excited to do it, because he's like our family historian), but I hope we'll find a way.

Till then, I'll start writing down the titles of these beloved stories. I guess it will be appropriate to start with Ganesha, the remover of obstacles.

No comments:

Post a Comment